Re: Reacting to previous messages

David R. Cheriton writes:
> In that vein, I hope some devil advocate ISP rep. stands up and
> calls us idiots because:
> i) (as I argued before), most supposed multicast can be done with
>   multiple unicast, and with bandwidth going up, even more can.
>   And who wants it any way,  Pointcast reborn?  Recall what happened
>   to the Web "push" fad - Good morning?
> ii) multicast just saves the customer bandwidth/cost while leaving
>    the ISP with a charging and delivery problem.
> ii) multicast complicates running a network, a lot.
> iv) after 15 years of IP multicast not going anywhere, perhaps we
>    are just to invested in multicast to recognize it as empirically
>    proven to be just one bad idea.  Is there other
>   ideas that have been around this long, gone virtually no place,
>   and we still think are good ideas?
> I think we should try to have some good answers to these challenges.
>
> DRC

Well, since you asked for a devil's advocate...

The attached mail thread occurred on the nanog mailing list in
February of last year, with Vadim Antonov, ex- "ISP rep," arguing that
IP multicast is too hard to implement, manage, and deploy, and is not
required by applications, anyway:

        http://www.cctec.com/maillists/nanog/historical/9802/msg00513.html

I don't agree with everything Vadim said, and I think we can answer
many or even most of his concerns.  Nonetheless, I think Vadim's
arguments deserve consideration, and they highlight the importance of
trying to identify and focus on the applications for which multicast
is really most compelling and for which unicast is not a viable
alternative.

-Hugh