Re: Reacting to previous messages

	David,

	Notwithstanding the basic principle that the IETF should
	resist the creation of new working groups, I'm concerned about
	this statement:

>> A new WG is proposed precisely because there appears to be sufficient
>> interest and motivation for exploring new models of multicast.

	IETF working groups are not in the business of doing research
	(and this is true of the IETF in general). IETF WGs have
	tightly focused and well defined missions. They are chartered
	for the purpose of solving/standardizing a well defined
	problem. If we want to explore new models, let's do it in the
	IRTF (whatever that group does), or in some other academic
	forum.

	The IETF shouldn't go down this path. It sets a bad precedent
	for the IETF, as well as defocusing the other, more mature
	multicast work that the IETF has undertaken.

	Dave