Re: Reacting to previous messages

The point of the message was to suggest we agree on the >problem<
since I think that is what gives a WG focus and the basis for making
good decisions (and that means agreeing on applications in my mind).
I can't relate to a WG whose members are bound together by happening
to agree on portion of a >solution< ( (S,G) pair identification of
tree) to some undefined problem.

I find your response "counterproductive" because you focus only on
this bi-direction tree issue, and dont provide any further
substantive input on what problem we are addressing.  It sounds like
you are just promoting this particular idea.  And, I'm not convinced
by random anecdotal comments like, the PIM crew thought bi- was good
so we should too. I want to well-reasoned quantitative arguments,
not selective quasi-blind copying of the decisions of others.

Looking over previous mail, the applications you propose are basically
the same as Cheng-Yin Lee except for something about data collection
and routing protocols.  If these are at all real, who wants this,
what data rate, etc. ?  I think the "new types of apps we haven't yet
thought of" is a dangerous red herring.  In reality, the basic
patterns of communications with computers have been stable for 20
years, if not more, and things like email, web are just GUI'ed up
file transfer.  I'm more impressed on how little is new, no vice versa
Plus, designing beyond real requirements is a recipe for failure.

As for "distracting" the chairs trying to get this going, sorry,
but if I was them, I would like to have a clear problem statement
that stood up to scrutiny.
In that vein, I hope some devil advocate ISP rep. stands up and
calls us idiots because:
i) (as I argued before), most supposed multicast can be done with
  multiple unicast, and with bandwidth going up, even more can.
  And who wants it any way,  Pointcast reborn?  Recall what happened
  to the Web "push" fad - Good morning?
ii) multicast just saves the customer bandwidth/cost while leaving
   the ISP with a charging and delivery problem.
ii) multicast complicates running a network, a lot.
iv) after 15 years of IP multicast not going anywhere, perhaps we
   are just to invested in multicast to recognize it as empirically
   proven to be just one bad idea.  Is there other
  ideas that have been around this long, gone virtually no place,
  and we still think are good ideas?
I think we should try to have some good answers to these challenges.

DRC