url for the express paper

The following paper may be of interest to people on this list:

        http://www.dsg.stanford.edu/holbrook/express

We're, of course, interested in any comments.

-Hugh
---

IP Multicast Channels: EXPRESS Support for Large-scale Single-source Applicatio
ns

Hugh W. Holbrook and David R. Cheriton

Abstract

In the IP multicast model, a set of hosts can be aggregated into a
group of hosts with one address, to which any host can send.  However,
Internet TV, distance learning, file distribution and other emerging
large-scale multicast applications strain the current realization of
this model, which lacks a basis for charging, lacks access control,
and is difficult to scale.

This paper proposes an extension to IP multicast to support the
_channel_ model of multicast and describes a specific realization
called _EXPlicitly REquested Single-Source (EXPRESS)_ multicast.  In
this model, a multicast _channel_ has exactly one explicitly
designated source, and zero or more channel _subscribers_. A single
protocol supports both channel subscription and efficient collection
of channel information such as subscriber count.  We argue that
EXPRESS addresses the aforementioned problems, justifying this
multicast service model in the Internet.