Re: Simple Multicast - building a case for a BOF or WG

"David R. Cheriton" wrote:

> Anyone got an application that ISPs and router vendors would find compelling
> as motivaing bi-directional shared trees?

I dont believe that there are few cases that have to use one or the other.

It seems to me that per-source tree and shared tree are two obivious
approaches. The shared tree allows one to aggregate multiple trees
into one at the expense of less optimal topology (but we cannot
have optimal tree anyway since the unicast routing only has shortest
path "to-destination" not "from-source").

ISPs seem to like the shared tree approach in the core networks.

Cheers
Zheng

--
Zheng Wang