Manuel Fradinho Oliveira
Date of Birth: 21 April 1973 Nationality: Portuguese
1998 - PhD in Computer Science. Research topic: Large Scale Distributed Virtual Environments. University College London, UK
1991-1998 Computer Science Degree. Instituto Superior Tecnico. Lisbon. Portugal.
Final project: Distinction 20/20
1996-1998 OMEGAMEDIA – Based in Cascais, Portugal. Co-founder. IT and communication consultancy company:
1996-1998 LOGSME ESPRIT PNº22633 (4 million Euros Project) – IT/Communication consultant in the development of a forecasting prototype tool to support virtual enterprises within the food supply chain. Business vision and model. Assessed user requirements. Led the technical design team for the forecasting tool. Coordinated the dissemination packages of the project. Responsible for the study and report of the relevant emerging technologies.
1997-1998 WIT ESPRIT PNº25677 (4 million Euros Project) – IT consultant in the design and infrastructure architecture for virtual enterprises aiming at the SMEs along the manufacturing supply chain in the wood sector.
1997-1998 WATERNET ESPRIT PNº22.166 (3.5 million Euros Project) – Communication consultant. Designed and produced the dissemination products (communication, CD-ROM). Managed small team of designers, communication experts and clients.
1994-1998 ALFAMICRO – Based in Cascais, Portugal. IT consultant in National and European projects:
1994-1997 AICIME II ESPRIT PNº8889 (5 million Euros Project) – IT/Communication consultant in the technological/business infrastructure of the AICIME architecture. Designed and produced the dissemination products (communication, CDROM, website).
1994-1996 PCNET DGXIII PNº45374 (1 million Euros Project) – IT/Communication Consultant. Benchmarked existing ISDN Desktop Videoconferencing products. Managed a small team of engineers. Designed new business paradigms to aid product development. Designed and produced the dissemination products (communication, CDROM, website).
2000 Nortel Networks (4 months: Ottawa) – Implemented Simple Multicast, a new multicast routing protocol. Developed an online game prototype to demo the new technology. Linux kernel, C/C++, Java, JNI.
1999 SprintLabs ATL (4 months: San Francisco) – Designed and developed Router Level Filtering, an extension for multicast routing protocols to address QoS requirements of distributed virtual environments and games. Linux kernel, C/C++.
1998-2002 University College London (London) – Research in massive large scale virtual environments based on component based frameworks.
1997-1998 Virtual Worlds. Designed and developed distributed virtual environment architecture to support large scale worlds with multi-users. VRML, EAI and CORBA.
2001-2002 Co-supervisor of the final year project of a computer science undergraduate at Cambridge University. The project was based on technology developed during the PhD for component based network protocol stacks.
2001 Taught a one week course “Distributed Virtual Environments” at the University of Cape Town, South Africa, April, 2001
2000-2001 Co-supervisor of the final year project from three computer science undergraduates at University College London. All three projects used the technology developed during PhD for distributed virtual environments.
1998-1999 Lab demonstrator for java programming undergraduate course
1998-2002 PRAXIS XXI PhD scholarship, awarded by the Portuguese Science and Technology Foundation.
“Virtual Worlds” - Licenciatura de Engenharia de Informática e de Computadores Instituto Superior Técnico.
· M. Oliveira, J. Crowcroft and M. Slater, “TreacleWell: Unraveling the Magic "Black Box" of the Network”, Proc. SCI’02, Orlando, July, 2002
· M. Oliveira, “Causing Mayhem on the Internet with Virtual Environments”, Proc. WWW2002, Honolulu, May 2002
· A. Oliveira, J. Oliveira and M. Oliveira, “SMARTISAN – A new business paradigm supporting extended products across the supply chain”, Proc. eBusiness and eWork 2001 Conference, Venice, October, 2001
· M. Oliveira, J. Crowcroft and M. Slater, “Mayhem in Online Game and Virtual Environment Development”, short paper, Eurographics 2001, September, 2001
· M. Oliveira, J. Crowcroft and M. Slater, “Mayhem: A New Trend for Virtual Environments (and Online Games)”, Technical Sketch, Siggraph’2001, August, 2001
· M. Oliveira, J. Crowcroft and M. Slater, “Nemesis: A Different Way to Build a Virtual Environment (or Game)”, Eurographics UK, April, 2001
· M. Oliveira, J. Crowcroft and M. Slater, “Components for Distributed Virtual Environments”, PRESENCE: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, Vol. 10, N.1, 2001
· M. Oliveira, J. Crowcroft and C. Diot, “Router Level Filtering for Receiver Interest Delivery”, Palo Alto, ACM NGC’2000, November 2000
· M. Oliveira, J. Crowcroft and M. Slater, “Component Framework Infrastructure for Distributed Virtual Environments”, San Francisco, ACM CVE’2000, September 2000
· M. Oliveira, J. Crowcroft, M. Slater and J. Pereira, “JADE: Java Adaptive Distributed Environment”, online journal VIRtual, May, 2000
· M. Oliveira, J. Crowcroft, M. Slater and D. Brutzman, “Components for Distributed Virtual Environments”, London, VRST’99, December 1999
· M. Oliveira, J. Crowcroft and C. Diot, “Receiver Interest Filters”, poster, Pisa, NGC’99, November 1999
· M. Oliveira and A. Oliveira, “Efficient Collaborative Forecasting”, International Journal of e-Business Strategy Management, Vol 1, N 2, 1999
· R. Malkewitz, M. Oliveira and N. Sakkas, “WIT Space Planner – a Tool for Internet enabled 3D Graphics in Furniture Business”, EMMSEC’99, 1999
· M. Oliveira and A. Oliveira, “Virtual Enterprise Forecasting within the Food Supply Chain”, EMMSEC’99, 1999
· M. Oliveira and A. Oliveira, “SMEs and the STEP Myth”, PDT Europe’99, Norway, April 1999
· A. Oliveira, M. Oliveira and D. Blake, “Intelligent Forecast: A Lean Food Supply Chain Enabler”, Business Forecasting Best Practices Conference, Orlando, October 1998
· M. Oliveira and J. Pereira, “Virtual Worlds – A Virtual Environment Architecture”, Computer Graphics International Conference, Hanover, June 1998
· M. Oliveira and J. Pereira, “A Design of a Virtual Environment Architecture”, IEEE YUFORIC, Stuttgart, June 1998
· I. Hunt, M. O’Dea, M. Oliveira and A. Oliveira, “Emerging Technologies for the Food Industry’s Supply Chain”, 3rd International Conference on Chain Management in Agribusiness and the Food Industry, EDE, May 1998
· M. Oliveira and J. Pereira, “Virtual Worlds – Uma Arquitectura para Ambientes Virtuais”, 8º Encontro Português de Computação Gráfica, Coimbra, February 1998
· M. Oliveira and A. Oliveira, “Global AICIME – An integrated approach to support SMEs in the global commerce environment”, ISIP’97, Lisbon, May 1997
· M. Oliveira and A. Oliveira, “Global AICIME and PCNET – A virtual environment for SMEs”, GEN’97, April 1997
· M. Oliveira, R. Costa and A. Oliveira, “A RDIS ao serviço da Globalização das PMEs”, Global’95, Lisbon, 1995
Language Spoken Written Reading
Portuguese Fluent Fluent Fluent
English Fluent Fluent Fluent
ACM, SIGGRAPH, SIGCHI, SIGART, Eurographics, Associação Portuguesa do Eurographics.
Creative writer of short stories of Science-Fiction/Fantasy genre.
Nature and surrealist artist using soft pastel, ink and pencil.
Sports practitioner: Football and Track (distance running).